Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Why Miso?

While lying in bed last a couple nights ago I read the words "Why miso?" in my Real Simple magazine. I don't know that I've ever tried miso--not intentionally anyway--but the article describes it as having an "umami-rich flavor."

So, now I'm intrigued because I've recently learned that many of my favorite flavors are umami.  (I mean, I already knew these were my favorite foods, but I just recently learned they fall under this particular flavor category...) Like Parmesan cheese, aged & blue-veined cheeses, almonds and other tree nuts, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce.  All favorites of mine. 
I could eat Parmesan and balsamic vinegar on anything. Or by themselves. Two of my very favorite flavors.
So, what is umami, you ask?  In Japanese umami means savory and delicious taste; we've translated it to almost be one of the basic taste sensations like salty, bitter, sweet, or sour.  Who knew, right?! Check out more umami information and foods here.http://experiencelife.com/article/umami-the-secret-flavor/

So, now I need to know how to cook with miso... One of my favorite food writers, Mark Bittman of the NY Times gives me a starting point; what else have you got?  Do you love umami-flavored foods as much as I do?!

No comments:

Post a Comment