Monday, January 13, 2014

A Word (and a Book) for Wednesday

S 


ynecdoche: (pronounced si-nek-duh-kee) a part of speech in which a part is used for the whole, or the whole for a part

As in: Author of Poser: my life in twenty-three yoga poses, Claire Dederer, describing her escape from the house to practice yoga: "I left them food as though it were a piece of me. Synecdoche: a part representing the whole.  A sail representing a fleet.  A crown representing a king.  A chicken representing a mother."


I recently found this book while searching for books on yoga.  I quite enjoyed it, as evidenced by my reading it in 2 days.  Very poignant for a mother of babes just starting out in the world of yoga.

My 2014 goals include attending as many yoga classes as I can fit into my schedule.  I just feel too damn good afterwards to not.  While practicing yoga, I want to also learn more of its history and teachings.

Any yogic-friends have recommendations that aren't too incredibly heady?  I'm thinking maybe this or this.

Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische.

No comments:

Post a Comment